Thursday, July 11, 2019

E


 

Capitol E and lowercase e


I started this by a similar method to the letter a, if you want to refresh your memory, or the lower case b.  This letter was harder to get the proportions correct.  I changed the center square from 2" square to something a little more like a rectangle, flattening the square.


This is kind of  roadmap, with numbered sections on how I built the letter.  Since this is improv, I'm not providing measurements, but I do note tricks and tips in the post START HERE.

Here's another version of building a lowercase e:


The center section began at 2" wide by 1 1/4" tall, having been trimmed down from a square.  The strips from letter fabric (pink) were cut at 1 1/2" wide.


Snowballing on those 1" squares for the corners, to give the letter some roundness.


Trim the excess, press towards the dark.


Trimming up.


I always like the look of a letter trimmed up.


I cut a rectangle and sewed it to the bottom of the unit.


The back strip was sewn on.  Time for snowball corners.


The lowercase e letter, all trimmed up.


Here's how I put together the uppercase E.
I started with the green numbers, with strip #1 cut to 1 1/4" tall by 3 1/2" wide.
Strip #2 is cut 1 1/2" wide, as is strip #3.

Add on 2" strips to top and bottom, then along the left side.  It always changes up after trimming, so if yours are different, I am not surprised.

I made the lowercase letter twice and remade the uppercase E twice as well.  The problems were opposite on each: I kept getting the lowercase letter too large, and on the uppercase, I kept making it too small. I finally finished, and here they are:





 e is for English paper-piecing, Empty Nest, Full Life and Elizabeth’s Lollypop Trees


Empty Nest, Full Life, (No. 56)

Completed when the last of the children left the nest and I went off to grad school.


Elizabeth's Lollypop Trees, (No. 132), from here