Tuesday, July 9, 2019

R



Capitol R and lowercase r


Tonight I want to work with the scraps leftover from when I recovered my ironing board, plus some bits of solids.


That yellow block is about 4 1/2″ square, and I laid the tail of the capitol R at an angle, liked it, so I sewed it on.  Trim, and press towards the dark (or bright orange, as the case may be).


Fold the other side in, trying for an approximation of what you think you’ll like in the end, then tuck the extra wedge you just cut off behind this assembly.  Once you get it arranged, finger press under that folded edge, pin the wedge on, pin and stitch.


To trim this up, I’m auditioning where I think that tail should be cut – I’m keeping an eye on the top, and where the lower corner of the tail will be.


Tail, trimmed. (Whose idea was this to make a uppercase R?)


I created the top part of the R just like a P and sort of arranged them to see what’s going on.



I need to decide how to align the lower half of the R, whether to align it to the right (top) or left (bottom). The ruler is there to help you visualize.


I chose a right edge alignment, sewed it on, and trimmed it wonkily.  I’ll come back for a better trim at the end.  Stitch on the left side’s stem; press.


The invisible R on my new ironing board cover. 



For the lowercase r, I started with a 4″ square of green.


I sewed the little piece on top. That strip is 1 1/2″ wide.


I auditioned the angle for the shoulder of the r.


I folded the top edge down over my piece, finger-pressed it, and then used that crease as my seamline, stitching on this angled piece.


I slid a darker green in behind the strip and sewed than on.  I’m showing the trim here.


Untrimmed lowercase r.


Trimmed up.  Now what can I spell?


Now I think that r is too big.


Trimmed up, more in line with the others.  I’m thinking I could have trimmed it more after putting on the dark green triangle, before adding the stem to make it better proportioned, but these are wonky letters.

I experimented with large scale print tonight, with lots of white space, which is why I went to the solids for the backgrounds.  There needs to be contrast (our truth for these letters) and this is how I got it when using this fabric, although I'm not sure the mixing of all those colors with the large scale floral was that successful.


r is for rotary cutter, ruler and Rainbow Gardens


Rainbow Gardens,  No. 149, from here



Riley’s Baby Quilt, No. 63
I’ve made several baby quilts: eleven for my grandchildren, four for my children and a few others for relatives and friends.  This is Riley, and this is his quilt, which he still loves several years later.