Sunday, July 7, 2019

Z


Capitol and lowercase Z/z 
Can you believe it’s our last letter?  Wahoo!  Start with a rectangle and make a nice angle-y slash.  Make a wedge from the center strip (I cut this one at 2″ wide) like you made wedges for X and Y.  Stitch in in between the two parts of your rectangle; press seams toward the letter fabric, aka “the dark.”
I cut 1 1/2″ strips for the top and bottom.
I trimmed the center unit to 4″ high, working hard to leave 1/4″ on either size of my slanted letter portion.

It’s done. (Or at least I thought it was done. . . stay tuned.)
Construct the capitol Z in the same way.  I just noticed I have the capitol Z upside down.  Ignore.  What you should notice is how HUGE that lowercase z is.  I whacked off the top along the seamline (because I didn’t feel like unpicking), and cut about 3/4″ off the center section, then sewed the top back on.

Now I like the proportions better. 


Z is for zipper and Zambezi River



Zambezi River, (No. 32), from here 
I believe this is the very time time I ever tried free-motion quilting on a domestic machine (and it shows).  This quilt is about 12″ wide, began in a class with Katie Pasquini Masopust in Houston.