Thursday, July 11, 2019

Now I Know My ABCs


An abecedary (or abecedarium), according to Wikipedia,  is “a full alphabet carved in stone or written in book form, was historically found in churches, monasteries and other ecclesiastical buildings. Abecedaries are generally considered to be medieval teaching aids, particularly for the illiterate. The alphabet may have been thought to possess supernatural powers along the lines of the runic alphabet. Each letter would have had a symbolic meaning to the devout.”


  
I consider myself to be a fairly dedicated quilter, perhaps even devout (certainly sincerely devoted to the craft).  I have wanted to try this project for a long time, putting something quilt-oriented to a letter of the alphabet, finally put into motion when I left the classroom and wanted to make a letter-based quilt.

Roman Letter Poster

It took me some time to make the letters, so the project was in process for a while, and is still subject to changes and amendments.

I have provided an index to the side.

A page from The New England Primer, the first book in the new American colonies.

Hope you enjoy this collection of improvised and free-form letters.

Elizabeth Eastmond
OccasionalPiece-Quilt
(OPQuilt.com)

P.S.  Tag me on Instagram if you make some letters–I’d love to see them.  I’m @occasionalpiecequilt.  Our group started making words as #spellingbeequilt, if you want some ideas for how to make yours.