Thursday, July 11, 2019

L


Capitol L and Lowercase l

I think you can figure this one out.  The lowercase l strip was cut 2″ wide.  The block on the uppercase L was cut 4 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ and the strips were cut 2 1/4.”


That lowercase i is looking a wee bit too wide.  Time for a trim, I think.


l is for label and Lyon Carolings, Log Cabin, love (of quilting?) and list


Lyon Carolings, from here (No. 88)


Log Cabin Quilt, No. 9 (Completed in 1984)

L is for list, too.

In case you are wondering, the numbers at the end of the titles refer to a master list I started keeping some time ago.  I have two lists: a master quilt list of 1-100, and another of 101-200, which is still in progress. I could have taken the idea from museum cataloguing, from Mozart’s Kochel numbers, or from the way everyone numbers things of a like kind. One day it had been a particularly bad day, and I felt like my life and my life’s work of raising children would dissipate into nothingness.  Shortly after that,  I went to visit my parents, and saw my father’s art journal.  From then on I started numbering my quilts, a list I kept adjusting as I remembered the ones I’d given away, making my own Elizabeth Numbers (just like Mozart’s).


Then I began the herculean task of trying to photograph them all, which took more than a year; only one remains undocumented.  (That’s my son, Chad, above, helping me with the quilts that lived at his house.) I also began a Quilt Journal just like my father’s, and found that the task of gathering my life in quilts was a satisfying one.  I now have my own set of Elizabeth Numbers, neatly ordered on a list that corresponds to the digital compilation of the quilts on my main blog, OPQuilt.com.

Start your list. 
Today.