Thursday, July 11, 2019

H


Uppercase and Lowercase H/h

I decided to break farther out of my low-volume background rut and sparkle these letters to life.  


Capitol letter is H is very easy..  Set your crossbar a little higher than smack dab in the middle for a more graceful letter.  The crossbar is also a little narrower–the strip is cut 1 1/2″ wide, while the other two strips are 2" in width.


That width (1 1/2″) is a perfect size to construct your lowercase h.  I sewed the letter fabric to a rectangle of background fabric, then sewed on the shoulder (see below).

What's a shoulder in typography-speak?




The orange piece to your right is the shoulder of the lowercase h.  Here, also, are my rectangle dimensions, with the ruler overlaid.

Then I tried to figure out a pleasing width the space between the two legs of the lower h, and came up with 2″ (shown above as 2 1/4″ as I need to leave room for seam allowances). Trim, then sew on the left stem of the lowercase h. I set the two letters next to each other before I trimmed off the top and bottom–I wanted them to harmonize.  

Hey! Harmonize begins with H!

And what's a stem?


I'm trying to get used to using the proper terms for typography, for what's the point of learning something new, if you don't learn something?


h is for half-square triangle, Hearts in the Pines Camp Quilt and Home, Sweet, Home


Hearts in the Pines Camp Quilt, (No. 68), from here


The Heart’s Solace: Home, Sweet Home, (No. 147), from here


Many of the terms I learned about topography, for you word-a-philes out there, came from Typedia. The above screenshot with all the bits and pieces named came from there. 


Typedecom also has a glossary of terms.  By now I’m sure you’ve figured out that I’m including these links as a reference for me, too.