Sunday, July 7, 2019

Y

Capitol Y and lowercase y



Let’s go!  I snowballed on a dark corner (2) onto (1), then sewed that unit to (3). Rectangle (4) gets sewn to (5).  Press towards the dark, then sew to piece (6).


Sew those two units together, then sew on that long piece on the right.  Snowball on the lower corners.


Ta-Done!


Here is the lowercase y with the ruler overlaid.  This letter is almost as tall as the capitol Y.


To begin the capitol Y, slice a rectangle from corner to corner.


Using a wedge-shaped piece (made as you did in the letter X), measure for the length.  Don’t sew yet.


First, slash the left-hand triangle on an angle, creating a nice shape.  Make a smaller wedge of the letter fabric.


Sew the wedge-shaped piece in between the two smaller triangles.


Sew the longer wedge piece onto one side of the remaining large triangle; press towards the dark.  Then sew the pieced triangle unit to the remaining side of that long strip.  Press.


I probably should have started with 2″ wide pieces for the capitol (mine were and inch and 1/2″ wide) to give it a bit more drama.


Here it is all trimmed up.


And here they both are, in living (not-blue) color.  I took these photos some years ago when I first had my digital camera, and had messed up the settings on my camera.  My apologies.


y is for yardage and Star Mother’s Youngest Child (a bit of a cheat in the title, here)


Star Mother's Youngest Child, (No. 108), from here 

Label from Star Mother’s Youngest Child

I’ve always liked Louise Moeri’s book, and decided to honor it by naming the quilt after the little story.  I had fun printing up the label, including a portrait of the Old Woman talking to Star Mother’s Youngest Child, come to earth for one day.