Thursday, July 11, 2019

G


Uppercase and LowercaseG/g

I decided I was tired of the neutral “low-volume” backgrounds so decided to break out a bit. I used a large-scale light-colored print and a flat-looking fabric for the letter so there would still be some contrast.  I hoped.


The first thing I did was create that little serif (anyone who is a graphic designer, please feel free to correct my terminology, but I hunted and hunted and that’s the term I came up with for that little jutty-innie thing on a G).  I set my two 1 1/2″ strips at right angles, drew a line and sewed.  Then I trimmmed and pressed it to the dark.


I’m using bold fabric, but that serif totally gets lost in this piece of fabric.  If you decide to use large-scale prints for your background, be aware of where the print motifs fall in your construction.  Like that double-loopy purple bit, above -- it obscures the serif.


So I re-cut that 4″ background square. Better.


I sewed on the bottom purple strip, then snowballed a corner onto the lower right corner.  I sewed a strip on the top of this unit, then snowballed a corner onto the upper right corner.  Lastly, I sewed a long strip to the left of that first unit, and yes -- I snowballed corners top and bottom on the outside.



The lowercase g begins with a small 2 1/2" square for the upper part of this letter.  Border it on two sides (L) and (R), with 1 1/2" strips, trim.  Then make the top and bottom, with snowballed corners (I cut 1″ squares), using a 2" strip on the bottom, to give the letter some weight.
It's almost like making an "o" except you only have three snowballed corners, instead of four.

The lower section begins with a rectangle, 2 1/2" high (although you may end up cutting it down).  On the right side, border it.
On the left lower side, put a snowball corner made from letter fabric.

Repeat the steps that you did above, again, using a 2" wide strip on the bottom.  Snowball on your corners.


I’m really serious about pressing to the dark–even the bitty snowballed-on corners.  Here’s the back of the G/g, showing this.


Here’s some fussy cutting for the letter g, from Lisa’s grasshopper.  



Now I can spell Gag, Deaf, Bag. and a few other words. 


g is for grainline, Good Friday, and Gingham Quilt


Gingham Quilt, (No. 99), from here


Good Friday, (No. 164), from here
This was a representation of how it felt to sit in Gaudi's church in Barcelona, La Sagrada Familia, on Good Friday.