Tuesday, July 9, 2019

S


Lowercase and Uppercase S/s


I glanced at my letter chart, seeing all the moving parts to an S, and nearly fainted.  Just kidding.  Because there are a lot of pieces, that means that you can adjust them more if they get out of whack.  I decided to start with the capitol S.


I sewed piece #1 to #2, pressed to the dark, then added #3.


Snowball on corner #4.  Sew pieces #5 (upper background space) and #6 together.  They are shorter than the lower unit.  I want the lower background space in this letter (#2 in previous photo) to be a touch wider than the upper background space; the upper one is cut to 1 1/2″ before sewing in.


Sew on the back upper spine of the S, then sort of trim up a bit, getting the lower unit and the upper unit to agree with each other in terms of proportion and width.  I didn’t do this, and ended up unpicking that joining seam. I’m also checking to make sure it’s not taller than the rest of my letters (which are averaging about 7 – 7.25.”

When you get it so you like it, sew on the snowball corners everywhere, then stitch the two units together.  Trim up.  Remember that you’ll lose 1/4″ all the way around when you sew these letters into your words, so don’t trim too much.  They should look a little chunky right now.


S is for Super Sewer!


Same construction, only little-er. This is the lower unit, and you can see the measurements of things.


Upper and lower s units.


Yes, I forgot to snowball on that elusive piece (it’s #4 in the big S), so I unpicked that seam a little and sewed it on.


Look at all the snowballed corners–now you can see how freehand I cut my pieces.  I’m just trying for some sort of angle across those corners.  Of course, you can always leave them off.


Final true-ing up.


Lowercase s is finished.


Here's the whole alphabet to S/s.  Almost there!


s is for sampler, sashing, selvage and stash, Snapshot, Silver and Gold, and Sol LeWitt’s Patchwork Primer, and Spectrum


Snapshot, from here (No. 110)

I was one of the three people in America who actually made a quilt from traded Polaroid blocks.  I may have guessed on that three part, but I don’t think I’m too far off.


Silver and Gold, from here (No. 126)
This quilt tells the story of friendship, with all the collected signatures.


Sol Lewitt’s Patchwork Primer, from here (No. 135)


Starry Compass Rose, #156, from here


Spectrum, an 18″ mini quilt, #153, found here