Thursday, July 11, 2019

I


Uppercase and Lowercase I/i 


The capitol I isn’t rocket science. I attached the top serif to the three-part middle section, then used my ruler to decide where to chop it off and attach the lower serif, which is a bit wider than the top.


The lowercase i is basically 1 1/2″ wide, with two colors intercutting each other.  I cut the “dot” as a 1 1/2″ square, and attached it to the spacer (which I cut at 1 1/4″ so it would have an oblong look to it).  Then I sewed the top part of my background strip, but didn’t trim just yet.


I put it up next to my uppercase I and made the top of the dot even with the top serif on the my capitol I, then trimmed it up.


The letters, so far.  It's nice to see them accumulate.


i is for Into the Woods and the I’ll Call It What I Want To Quilt


Into the Woods, (No. 103), from here
My version of square within a square.  My father liked it so I left it at my parents’ house for several years.


The I’ll Call It What I Want To Quilt, (No. 133), from here

While a fabulous block, the designer insisted that I had to name it the name she gave her block, even though I found it in a book that was out of print and the block itself is more than 15 years old. . . I resisted.  The blog post linked above talks about copyright, as well as my frustration with this Famous Designer and her version of copyright laws, which is all part of the quilty road we are traveling.